Monday 7 July 2014

Mingling.....


I turned around slowly and came face to face with Joel.  My mouth dropped open, he looked GOOD!   Joel was a guy I had met while I was on vacation in California.  He was in the army and was about to be deployed.  He's about 5'11 blonde hair and blue eyes.  And let’s just say that we had a very passionate week together before I had to go home and he was being deployed.  We had kept in touch occasionally, however Craig had asked me to stop contacting him.  Joel was a threat in Craig’s eyes, even though he lived over 4000km away.  Shortly after that I had heard he met someone and was very happy.

Before me stood the new Joel, ripped and tatted up, YUM!  He leaned in and I got a whiff of his cologne and I swear my uterus contracted.  We hadn’t seen each other in years, but he could still make my knees go weak.  “You look amazing, I can’t believe my luck” I bit my lower lip and closed my eyes before he backed away and looked at me.  Michelle was standing next to me nudging me before I snapped out of it and introduced her to Joel.  Joel ordered a beer and brought us over to meet a few friends he was here with.  Michelle was the ultimate wing woman, despite her being in a long term relationship; she was a social butterfly and could converse with anyone.  Which gave Joel and me some time to catch up.  We were trying to converse but the loud music was keeping us from hearing what each other was saying.  I pointed to going outside and he nodded.  I leaned over to Michelle and said we were stepping outside she grinned and went back to talking to the guys.  We stepped outside and we both looked at each other.  I noticed the scars more now and caressed them with my fingertip “What happened?”

He went on telling me how the Humvee he was in got attacked and he was barely alive when they dragged him out.  He asked them to contact me and Amanda to let us know he was alive.  I asked the stupid question “Who’s Amanda?” He smiled and said “My girlfriend.....” and I tried to hide my disappointment before it was followed up with “who broke up with me when I got home”.  Miserable bitch I thought to myself, he needed people around him who loved and cared for him and she left him in his time of need.  “I’m sorry” I said, but he shook it off.

“So where is Craig?”  He asked as he took a swig of his beer. 

“That’s over, even though he’s trying to win me back” I said as I sipped my cocktail. “I never knew that you were injured, I never got a phone call or any type of communication.  But I am glad you are ok, and you look great despite what you’ve been through.”

“I’ve really missed you” He said and I could tell he was being sincere.

I smiled a genuine smile, for the first time in a very long time.  He grabbed my hand and led me inside where we went straight to the dance floor.  He turned me around so my back was against his chest and wrapped his arms around my waist; he whispered to me “do you remember when we went dancing?”  I nodded and remembered how that night ended.  We swayed and grinded to the music that was pumping loudly.  He leaned down and kissed my neck and gently bit my earlobe which sent shivers through my entire body.

I pulled away from him and shook my empty glass, he nodded and we headed back to the table.  When we got there Michelle leaned over to me and whispered “I saw that and you need to go with him right now!  Get out of here, I can get myself home.”  I slapped her arm playfully as Joel came back with drinks for everyone.  When he set them down his arm went back around my waist and he held me close.  His friends, Peter and Adam, were signalling that they wanted to get out of there.  He nodded and leaned over and said something to them to which they nodded and excused themselves saying they were going back to the hotel.  Michelle followed suit by checking her phone and saying Ian was texting her and she should head home.  I had a look of if you leave me here you know what will happen and she pulled me in for a hug and said “You’re single...now mingle and have fun!”  She said her goodbyes and I turned to look at Joel.  He smiled and put his beer on the table and asked “so should we get out of here?”  I nodded but I had to settle up at the bar and get my credit card back.  I walked over and signalled the bartender to settle up, I quickly signed off on the bill and took my card and put it in my clutch.

I walked back to the table and couldn’t find Joel anywhere.  I sighed and shrugged and decided to head for the door. I started walking and stopped to grab my jacket that I checked and put it on before walking out the door.  The night had gotten chilly and as I was walking down the street I felt someone come up behind me and wrap their arms around me, I instantly started struggling not knowing who it was until I heard “baby it’s me, Joel, relax.”  I turned and punched his shoulder, to which he acted wounded and said “DON’T DO THAT TO A GIRL WALKING DOWN A DARK STREET!!”

“I ran to the bathroom and came back and you were gone, I took off out the door and saw you walking.  Did you really think I was going to leave you hanging like that?”  I shrugged and he leaned me against a building wall and pulled my chin up “The worst thing I did was let you leave California; I should’ve asked you stay but it was selfish for me to ask you to wait for me to come back.  But I’m here now and I don’t want to let you go”.  He then leaned in and kissed me ever so softly, and then nibbled on my lower lip gently.  He then pulled away and grabbed my hand and held it.  We wandered around downtown for a while before he asked if he could walk me home.  I knew we weren’t far so I agreed.  When we got in front of my building I looked up into his blue eyes and smiled.

“Thank you for walking me home” I said.  He smiled down at me and gently backed me into the wall before kissing me deeply.  And all the memories of the days we spent together came back.  My hands slid up around his head, which was still closely shaved, and I felt the butterflies in my stomach.  This was so out of character for me, but I haven’t felt this kind of connection since Craig.  And the person whom I had it with before is right in front of me.  His hands were roaming all over my body, then one hand hooked my leg around his waist and he pushed his growing bulge against me.  I moaned into his mouth and he asked “Can I please come upstairs?  I’ve missed you and I just need to feel that connection again.  Even if it’s not sex, I need to feel you close to me again...”

I nodded turned my back to get my keys out and open the door to the building....I felt Joel wrap his arms around me and kiss my neck.....I was going to live my life by my standards now.....Michelle said it best “you’re single....go mingle.”

4 comments:

  1. ok. you redeemed yourself. a little. Now, stand Craig up!!!

    just FYI - I noticed at the bar when Joel came back with the drinks and you mentioned the other guy's names, you called Joel Craig. Might confuse people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better! I'm hoping for a steamy sex scene :) Joel sounds hott! Much better than icky craig!
    Great post!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete