Monday 21 July 2014

Coming Full Circle Pt. 1


I had gotten up early the next day.  I had to go back to work.  I had already taken what seemed like a lifetime off.  And even though Joel was visiting I knew I had to get back to reality, even if I just worked a half day.  I left him a note and the spare elevator key.

I walked to the subway, I knew Joel would kind of be upset that I didn’t wake him, but I wanted to walk and clear my head.  I reached the subway and walked slowly down the stairs and towards the train.  I felt alien walking to the subway; Craig had always dropped me off at work.  But I was going to be independent his time around, and I mapped my way to my office one my phone and made it there in about 45 minutes.  When I walked in the office there were lots of smiles and a few welcome backs.  I forced a smile and a thank you and walked to my desk.  I immediately checked my email which had 108 messages.  I sighed and went through them, deleting any that were from Chloe.  Most of hers were from right after I caught her and there were a few from just after she asked for forgiveness.  I didn’t care what she had to say. Delete.  I read the interoffice bulletins, and a few emails from my coworkers asking if I was ok (I guess they thought I was checking from home) to which I responded to.  When those were taken care of it left about 25 emails and you can guess who had sent each and everyone....Craig.  I was debating whether or not to read them when I realized I don’t care anymore, I checked the ‘select all’ button and then hit delete.  Fresh start.....new life I thought to myself.

I busied myself answering phone calls, photocopying sheets for my boss and updating his calendar.  I looked at the clock and it was almost noon.  I excused myself for lunch and checked my phone to see I had a text from Joel

“Good Morning Baby!  I found your note, why didn’t you wake me I would’ve walked you to the subway.  Call me when you’re on your way home, I’m going to cook us dinner and we are having a date inside tonight.  No interruptions. Xo”

I smiled and texted him back:

“Good Afternoon Joel!  I had to try and resume some normalcy into my life.  After all you aren’t going to be around forever.  I didn’t want to wake you, we’ve had an emotional few days and even the toughest soldier will pass out cold LOL!  I will be home early, I think I’m going to grab lunch and then work maybe another hour and go home.   Date night sounds good.  See you soon!”

I put my phone back into my purse and stopped at a small deli and got a sandwich and a diet soda.  I walked back to the office when I heard my phone go off, I fished it out and it was Monroe.  SHIT I FORGOT TO CALL HIM BACK!! FUCK!  I answered

Me:  “I AM SO SORRY!!”

Monroe: “Girl you are lucky I don’t come back you scared me half to death, now dish what is going on?”

Me: “I hate doing this to you but I started back at work and I am heading back into the office.  I promise I will call you back on my way home.  I will walk home and talk to you!  I am leaving in about an hour anyway.”

Monroe: “YOU BETTER! Or I am coming back and kicking your ass!”

I giggled and said goodbye to him and hurried up to my desk. I quickly finished up the last of the photocopying and decided I’d had enough for one day.  I left a message for my boss that I was heading home and that I had only worked a half day.  I quickly exited the building and pulled out my phone.  Of course Joel had texted me:

“Don’t hurry home!  I am trying to prepare an elaborate date! By the way there is a dress code for this evening.  You will require a nice dress (that is not in your closet) and a nice pair of shoes (that is not in your closet) that should keep you busy for a couple hours.”

I laughed at the text and decided to call Monroe immediately.  If I was going shopping and was walking, I might as well kill two birds.  I immediately called Monroe and of course got his voicemail.  So I texted him and told him that I was shopping and when he was free to give me a call.  I walked into a little boutique store and was browsing around but decided against spending too much cash.  So I decided to walk to the mall and go to Forever 21.  I was bound to find a simple dress that wouldn’t cost me a fortune.  As I was walking through Monroe called me back, I gave him the entire run down as to what happened from Craig showing up to the loft and asking me on a date, right down to Craig showing up drunk and Joel being there to protect me....and everything in-between.

Monroe: “I always miss all the action!  And Joel.....why does that name sound familiar?”

Me: “Do you remember our trip to Cali? The bar....the soldiers....”

Monroe: “RIGHT! Oh he was hot!  I believe I got my own soldier that night as well”

Me: “yes you did, but yea I’m sorry I didn’t call you back but I’ve been otherwise occupied.  Joel is at the loft right now cooking dinner and I am shopping for a dress at Forever 21.  Apparently there is a dress code to get back into the loft.”  I giggled.

Monroe:  “Why are you at forever 21? You know you can go to the boutique by the loft, I still have an account there with them....”

Me: “That’s sweet! But you’ve given me enough of your generosity.  Time for me to buckle down and start getting back into reality....anyway I have an arm full of dresses that I need to try on.  I will send you pics and you tell me which one!”

Monroe: “Deal baby girl!  I miss you mucho!”

I headed for the dressing room and thank goodness I was wearing sexy underwear and not my usual ‘whatever is clean’.  I tried on dresses, and sent snapshots to my fashion consultant.  He vetoed almost every one of them except this red bandeau tube dress.  I didn’t want to buy it I thought it made me look heavy but Monroe’s judgement was final.  I bought the twenty dollar dress and headed out of the store.  I already had black pumps in my purse from work so I decided I would grab a tea and head close to home so I could change and then go upstairs.  I got close to home and slid into a coffee shop, went to the bathroom and changed, fluffed my hair and touched up my makeup.  I slid on a light wrap that I had found and walked out of the bathroom, grabbed a London Fog and decided to walk slowly and drink it on my way home.

As I was walking I stopped and grab some flowers for home.  I wasn’t far from home so I decided to text Joel to see if it was safe to come up. 

Me: “Hey I am almost home.  Can I come upstairs?”

Joel: “Hey baby! Can you wait maybe another 5-10 minutes and then come up?  I am almost done.”

Me: “Ok, I am starving!”

I decided to walk a little slower and window shop on my way.  I got the all clear to come home.  As I headed up in the elevator I could hear music playing. I smiled to myself as I reached my loft and opened the elevator doors.  I closed them and turned around to see rose petals scattered throughout the floor, I was greeted by Joel in khakis and a nice button down shirt.  He smiled as I walked in and pulled me close and kissed me deeply.  “You look beautiful” he said as he took my bag and wrap and put them on the couch. 

He led me to the table where there was champagne chilling on ice and a beautiful meal of chicken with gravy, fresh vegetables and basmati rice.  I was starving and couldn’t wait to dig in.  He sat down next to me while we listened to some 1990’s r and b slow jams.  He brought the wine out from the fridge, which I thought was odd since the champagne was sitting on ice.  But he poured some of my favourite white wine and we toasted to great friends.  I dug in, I was STARVING!  I was trying to eat like a lady but that ravenous part of me took over.  I stopped occasionally to have a sip of wine (who am I kidding...gulp of wine).  I finished my dinner in record time and was satisfied. 

Joel smirked as I ate, but when he was done shortly after we both took our plates and glasses to the dishwasher.  He put the wine back in the fridge and asked me to wait out on the couch while he got dessert.  As I sat down John Legend’s All Of Me comes on, I know I didn’t download this....Joel comes walking around the corner with some chocolate dipped strawberries and whipped cream.  I smile and he takes my hand and pulls me off the couch and pulls me into his embrace and we start dancing.  Joel leans down and whispers the lyrics in my ear.  When the song is over, he turns down the stereo. 

Joel: “Bella....I ....shit ....ok I am falling for you......don’t say anything just let me talk.”

I nodded and was shocked at his admission.

Joel: “I really want you to come to California with me.  I want us to build a life together, away from Craig and all the craziness that is here.  You loved it out there and I would love for you to be there with me.  But I do understand why you won’t move.  But I want us to work...so...”

He pulled out a little black box....

Joel: “this is not an engagement ring...but a promise ring.  A promise I am coming back to you and we are going to be together.  It’s going to take a bit for me to come back here, so I don’t want you to wait for me, again that’s unfair that I ask you to do that.  But once I am back....there is only us.”

He opened the box to reveal a beautiful white gold ring.  It was sparkling with diamonds; it wasn’t over the top, but a nicely accented ring.  I was in total shock as I looked up at him.  I didn’t know what to say.  He took the ring from the box and placed it on my right hand ring finger and then kissed it. 

Me: “Joel I.....wow.  Ummm...I don’t know what I want to say right now......are you saying you want to move here to be with me?!”

Joel: “umm yea that is what I am saying.  I will move anywhere, or move you anywhere so we can be together.  But I know I am not letting you go again, I have to go home and take care of a few things so I don’t want to stop you from dating anyone....just don’t forget I will be back.”

I leaned forward and kissed him softly, I knew I wanted to be with him too.  I knew Joel was leaving in a day or two, and I had to make the most of it.  I didn’t know when he was coming back, but I needed to spend as much time with him as possible. 

FLASHFORWARD JUNE 2013

I couldn’t get Joel out of my head.  It was a lot harder than we had initially thought for him to come up here.  He had a lot of red tape to get through, but he visited me often.  I had yet to go down to visit him in California, but that wasn’t because I didn’t want to, but lack of funds. 

I had quit my job at the office I worked at part time, Craig was showing up and sending flowers and basically just not leaving me alone.  So I figured I would just leave there all together and go back to waitressing with Arianna.  I had decided I wanted to go back to school, so waitressing would give me that flexibility.  My boss didn’t really like what had happened so when any floral arrangements showed up he would quickly check the card and if it was from Craig he would dismiss them and send the delivery guy back to the store. 

I was still staying at Monroe’s.  I couldn’t really afford to go out on my own and go to school.  So I had decided to stay there a bit longer.  One day while I was on my way home my phone was ringing and I missed the call.  I didn’t recognize the number but someone left me a message. 

“Hello, this message is for Isabella and Craig.  We are trying to confirm your reservation for tomorrow evening at 7pm.  Can one of you please call me back?”

FUCK!!! I yelled as I walked down the street.  This is just as much my fault as it is Craig’s.  I had told him to cancel it, but he was relentless on not, he was determined to get back together.  I had cancelled everything else; the hall, flowers, limos, photographer, the justice of the peace...I had asked him to do one thing ONE thing!!

I got to the loft and sat down on the couch.  I called Craig to see what his deal was and why he didn’t cancel this dinner. 

C: “Hello darling!  How are you?”

Me: “Don’t darling me, why didn’t you cancel the rehearsal dinner?”

C: “Isabella, we will get back together, I know it.  Let’s just go to dinner with our families and ...”

Me: “CRAIG IT’S OVER!  The sooner you accept it, the better.  It’s been months; we aren’t even living together or talking to each other.  You fucked it up when you were sticking your dick in my former best friend.  So unless you want to massive charge on your card, cancel the damn dinner.”

C: “Why are you so stubborn?  It’s been over for months with Chloe.  I Love You!  Just come to the dinner....we can talk it over.  My family is really excited to see you!”

Me: “What is your damage?  My family isn’t coming, they know what happened.  And my mom has finally realized that you and I are not working through this.  As for your family, you should’ve told them.  I will not be pressured by you to make nice and pretend we are in love, when that love died months ago.”

C: “So bring your friends.  I know for a fact Joel hasn’t been around lately.  So just come, I know your friends will show up to support you.....”

Me: “Enjoy dinner with your family....alone.”

I hung up the phone and was irate.  What the hell is his problem? Is he that delusional that he thought a dinner would bring us back together?  I immediately called my brother, he was not always the voice of reason, but always had my back...

Duane: “Hey baby girl!  What’s shakin?”

Me: “Oh My God! Craig didn’t cancel the dinner.  And he is expecting me to show up, friends in tow, and make nice with his family.  He still hasn’t told them.....”

D: “You have got to be kidding me!  What is this guy’s problem?  Look, I know you don’t want to hear this, but why don’t we just go, we’ll take all of your friends, I’ll come and we will drink and eat on his dime.  Tell his family what happened and then go home.....I will not leave your side for a moment...”

Me: “Duane are you high?  Why would I go to a dinner with my ex and his family???”

D: “Think about it, we can run the tab up high, get really wasted and then go home....c’mon Bella....”

I silently thought about it and figured if he was by my side I could do this.  I was still a pushover for going, but I’ve always wanted to know what Cristal tasted like...why not try it now?

Me: “You better not leave my side!  Call your boys, and I will call my friends.”

He hung up shortly after making me a promise not to leave my side.  I texted the girls and told them the plan.  They all thought I was crazy, but agreed to help run up the tab.  I called Monroe and told him to get a last minute flight up here ASAP, told him the plan and he laughed.  He was on his way....

2 comments:

  1. I got a tiny bit confused. . . Which part was a flashback? I love the story, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coming full circle parts are the final flashbacks. The second part brings us full circle to the post called "it was a mistake".
      I am now writing in pseudo real time. Even though we are no where close to being in 2014 lol.

      Delete