Wednesday 20 August 2014

Two Weeks Notice


I walked into the restaurant and I saw my boss, Sam, at the register.  He looked up and smiled at me and I smiled back, this wasn’t going to be easy but I knew I had to do it.  I walked towards the register, thankful that Arianna wasn’t there, and asked Sam if he had a minute to talk.  He nodded and walked towards his office; but told one of the waitresses to watch the register he would be right back.

Sam: “Well you look rested.  I am guessing you had a nice weekend off?”

Me: “I did, it was a good trip home ... sort of.  But I really need to tell you something and I don’t know how you will react.”

Sam: “Isabella you are one of the best waitresses I’ve had.  You really became part of the family when you started back in here full time. You can tell me anything.”

Me: “Thank you Sam.  I am really glad you feel that way but it makes this all the more harder to do.  Sam....I am giving you two weeks’ notice.  I am moving to San Francisco with my boyfriend....”

Sam looked at me silently in shock.  His eyes bulged out of his head, his mouth dropped open, and the room went absolutely silent. 

Me: “Sam please say something....”

Sam: “I...Oh wow.  I wasn’t expecting that.  I thought maybe you wanted to cut back on your hours....Geez.  I really don’t want to lose you but I appreciate you giving me two weeks.  Wow!  I really wasn’t expecting that.”

Me: “I know it’s very fast and very shocking.  But it’s something I need to do for myself.  I considered asking for a leave of absence, but the only way I can give Joel a fair shot is to quit all together.  But I will work here for two weeks while you find someone.”

Sam: “We will definitely miss you!  And you will always have a job here if you choose to come back.  But I really hope you are happy and I wish you the best!”

He reached across the desk and held out his hand.  We shook and I got up and walked out of the office.  I didn’t have to work until mid week, so as I left I decided to go and grab a few bins for packing from the department store. 

While I was walking through the department store pushing my cart with storage bins, I decided to check my phone.  I figured I must’ve had responses.  While the only person I cared hearing from was Joel, I knew there would be other responses.  To my surprise my mother had not responded.  I really thought she might try, but she had Monroe on his way home so I guess she just figured she would let her soldier do her dirty work.  I smiled instantly when I saw Joel’s text.  He just let he me know he got home safely and was going to make some room for my obscene amount of clothes, and of course that he loved me.  I chuckled to myself and responded in true smart ass fashion telling him to get a walk in closet built before I get there.

I put my phone away, despite the texts from Monroe and Duane waiting for me to respond and headed for the check out.  I am loving the new self check outs; I don’t have to wait in line forever anymore.  I realized I had more than I anticipated, so I decided to call Duane.  I waited outside the store and he pulled up and got out to help me load my stuff into his truck.

I got in and I knew he had a bunch of questions; the tension was so thick between us...

Me: “Ok go ahead and ask I know you’re trying not to...”

Duane: “Ask you what?”

Me: “Don’t play coy!  I got your texts.  You are white knuckling the steering wheel, so you obviously have reservations....so let’s hear them...”

Duane: “Ok, this just seems so fast Bella.  Are you sure you’re not making a mistake?  I am not going to try and even talk you out of it; I just want to understand where you are coming from...”

Me: “I just think I need a fresh start.  And I am not going to get that here, not with Craig and Chloe around and everyone who knows what happened.  Duane, I need to live my life now, I am not getting any younger and I can’t just do things to make people happy.  I have to be happy, and I am not happy here...not anymore.”

Duane: “Ok.  So moving 3000 miles away from everyone is going to make you happy?”

Me: “I don’t know, but I won’t know unless I try.  I don’t want to live with always wondering what if.  I have a chance to go and be happy and I am going to take it.  If it doesn’t work, I can always come home.”

Duane: “Ok then.  What do you need help with?”

I looked at him in shock.  I thought he was going to ask more questions than that.

Me: “So that’s it?  That’s all you have to ask?”

Duane: “Bella, I would love nothing more than for you to stay here.  But it’s selfish of me to ask you to stay.  It would only be for me, and I can’t do that to you.  I kind of understand why, and I will support you.”

Tears welled in my eyes.  Someone finally understood why I needed to do this.  I wanted to hug him but he was driving and I didn’t want to cause an accident.   We arrived at the loft and he helped me upstairs with the bins and other items I got. 

Duane: “So how long until you leave?”

Me: “I just gave my two weeks’ notice at the restaurant, so ... two weeks.”

Duane: “Are you moving your stuff out of storage?”

Me: “No I am going to leave it here for now.  Until I see what we might need out in Cali.  I will leave you a cheque to cover the expenses, if you wouldn’t mind paying it for me.”

Duane nodded and turned to head out.  I knew he didn’t like expressing his emotions much; he’s always been the strong one. 

Me: “Joel will be back in a week and we want everyone to come together so I can say farewell.  I won’t say goodbye because I will be back and goodbye seems so final.  Will you come when I plan it?”

Duane: “I wouldn’t miss it for the world baby girl!” 

He leaned down and hugged me tight, and I hugged him back.  While I was wrapped up in his hug I thought to myself; I think I would miss him the most...maybe I can convince him to move out there one day...

8 comments:

  1. Duane reminds me of my big brother. Always there for her. Very sweet & im glad he is on board!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a lucky gal!! I have a Monroe and a Duane....LOL

      Delete
  2. I just finished reading all the posts...soo good I really like the story
    Can't wait to read more of Bella 's journey. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog, it's great!

    http://elinainlondon.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to check out your blog site as well! I am always on the look out for new blogs to read!

      Delete
  4. I hope there's a post today!! Is the schedule still Monday, Wednesday, & Friday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to do at least 2 posts a week, if I am not too busy I do 3. I don't really have a set schedule it really just revolves around my work schedule and life. But I just posted a new one! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete