Friday 8 August 2014

Let the Games Begin Pt. 1


I fell asleep on Joel’s shoulder on the train ride.  It was not long, but I really didn’t know what to say.  I knew my mom was going to be less than thrilled at this surprise; I so wish I had Monroe to be the buffer right now. 

Our train pulled into the station and Joel grabbed our bags from the overhead.  We made our way through the station and towards the parking lot.  I called my mom to see if she was there; to which she said she was in the parking lot.  I looked around and saw her standing by her small SUV.  She smiled when she saw me but her look quickly changed when she saw Joel coming with me.  It was a cross between “who the hell are you and are you the reason she and Craig can’t work things out?!”  I hugged her and she whispered “we are going to talk when we get home Isabella.”

She held out her hand...

Mom: “Hello I am Isabella’s mother Daphne.  And you are?”

Joel: “Hello Daphne my name is Joel.  I am your daughter’s boyfriend.”

Mom: “Boyfriend huh?” she eyed him with a cocked eyebrow.

Joel: “Yes.  Well ... I’d like to think so.”

Me: “Mom...now is not the time or the place....” knowing full well what she’s capable of.

Mom: “You’re right.  Let’s go home and get to know each other Joel.”

She pulled open the driver side door and got in, I climbed into the front and Joel rode in the backseat.  Needless to say the drive was uncomfortably silent.  I didn’t know exactly how to present this to my mother, and I wasn’t even sure what I wanted from Joel.  I was happy when he was around, and miserable when he wasn’t, but at the same time this felt all too fast.

We pulled into the driveway of our little bungalow; my mom paused for a second before moving to get out of the car.  We followed suit and Joel was carrying our bags.  We walked in and I took a deep breath; trying to prepare for what was to come and, let’s face it, I missed the smell of home.

It had always been just mom and me.  My dad left us when I was small and from what I heard started a new family.  He tried to keep in contact with me while I was small, but that dwindled when I got older to absolutely no contact.  I think that is why my mom is so fiercely protective of me. 

As we walked through the house my mom led us upstairs.  I think Joel was thinking we were going to be able to stay in the same room, my mom had other ideas.  She directed Joel to the guest room; she opened the door and walked in.  She had made it up nicely and had the drapes open.  He looked at me and put both of our bags on the bed.  My mom grabbed my bag and handed it to me.

Mom: “Isabella you know where your room is.”

I laughed to myself and walked towards my room, of course in between both rooms was my mom’s bedroom.  So even if Joel tried to sneak into my room, I knew my mom would catch him.  She used to be such a light sleeper; I figured old habits would die hard.  My mom told us to come down when we had unpacked, and I heard Joel come over to my room.

Joel: “I thought we would be able to sleep in the same bed at least.”

Me: “It’s because she doesn’t know you.  And she’s going to grill us when we get downstairs, so be prepared.  It took a good year before she would let me and...”

Joel waved his hand to cut me off.

Joel: “Well let’s go face the firing squad.  The sooner she falls in love with me the sooner we can get you moved to California...” he winked at the last part. 

I went to say something, but I figured I would wait until we were at least back at the loft.  I wasn’t sure I was ready to move and set up house yet.  We still had a long way to go.  We walked down the stairs and my mom was busying herself in the kitchen making up some snacks.  I walked over to help her and she waved me away.  I knew that was my sign to go away but I went to the fridge and helped her prepare the cheese tray.  Joel sat silently at the table watching us work in the kitchen before my mom turned to me and asked “Isabella could you do me a favour and run to the store and grab some things for dinner?  I have a list here and you know where the grocery money is....”

I nodded and Joel rose out of his chair before she spoke again “Oh, Joel you can stay here.  I would love to get to know you better....”  I went red, I knew this routine.  She did the same thing to Craig; whom was white as a sheet when I got back.  I knew not to mess with my mom, and if I tried to protest she would pick a fight and I wanted her honest opinion.  Joel sat back in the chair, wide eyed. I walked over and kissed his cheek and whispered in his ear “you’ve been through worse...I hope.  I won’t be too long.”

I grabbed my keys and walked out the door, it had been forever since I had driven.  Living in the city afforded me with public transit, I started up my mom’s car and backed out slowly and drove towards the grocery store.

Mom: “Ok, Joel.  I figure Isabella has warned you in some way about me.  But I have a lot of questions surrounding this relationship.  It all seems so fast, she was set to be married, and now here you are...”

Joel: “Ma’am I know this seems fast, but I can honestly say I love your daughter.  I think I’ve loved her since the first day I saw her.  When she and Monroe vacationed in California, we met and the three of us spent a wonderful week together.  I am from California originally, San Francisco actually.  I recently moved to San Diego and I love it there.”

Mom: “That’s all well and good Joel.  But what role do you play in this?  I mean I know what happened with Craig, but can you honestly say you had absolutely nothing to do with it?”

Joel: “I can with good faith.  I didn’t come into her life until after Bella and Craig had broken up.  I am not that kind of guy.  If she really wanted to be with Craig, I would’ve stood aside.  But given what I know, he didn’t deserve a woman like your daughter.”

Mom: “Hmmm.  Well you certainly are trying to butter me up Joel.  But I have to tell you I am not happy with this.  This is all far too fast for Isabella.  She hasn’t even processed the demise of an engagement, and here you are playing house I would assume.  I am guessing you are staying at the loft with her?!  Joel look I don’t know you, I don’t know what kind of guy you are or even if you are going to be good for my little girl.  What I can tell you is I will not allow you to try and move my daughter any farther away from me than she already is.  Monroe will not allow that to happen either.   She needs to get her OWN life together.  And despite how together she seems, she is still reeling over what happened with Craig.”

Joel: “With all due respect ma’am, I am not trying to butter you up.  And no you don’t know me, but I am willing to open up so you can get to know me too.  I am not going to lie; I have talked to her about moving to California.  She is very hesitant, and with good reason.  I want you to know me better....I have nothing to hide.  I want to one day marry your daughter, but I will not do it without you and Monroe’s blessing.”

Mom: “Well that will be a long way off, if I have anything to say about it.  You and I have a lot of getting to know each other, and it won’t all happen in one weekend.  But for now I need to talk to my daughter and see where her head is at.”

Joel: “I really do love your daughter.  And I would like for you to get to know me better, and I agree that it won’t happen over one weekend.  But whatever choices are made, I don’t want you to think I am pressuring her in anyway. “

My mom cocked her eyebrow at his last statement and set down the platter or meats and cheeses.  I had opened the door when she put the platter down, which I think shut her up....for now. Joel headed over and helped me with the groceries.  He smiled and looked a little stressed, so I figured the showdown had begun.  I kissed him softly on the cheek and we walked into the kitchen.  She seemed a little to serene when I got there, but when I heard a knock at the front door I knew she had called reinforcements; I just hoped it wasn’t my entire family.

I opened the door and there was Duane.  I shook my head and let him in...Let the games begin!  My mother rushed to him and gave him a hug and kisses and ushered him to his room.  I knew this weekend would be too good to be true.  When Duane came down he introduced himself.

Duane: “Hi I am Duane, Isabella’s big brother....and you are?”

I shot Duane a look practically screaming BE NICE!

Joel: “Hi I am Joel, Isabella’s boyfriend.”

Duane looked back and forth between us.  I knew mom had sent him to take Joel away for a bit, she was not as slick as she used to be....

Duane: “Well Joel...why don’t we grab a few beers and head out into the backyard.  I am sure the ladies need some time to talk and I would like to get to know you.”

Joel: “Sure sounds good.”

They went into the fridge and grabbed two beers each and then headed outside.  I knew Joel was in for another grilling from Duane, but I more needed to know 1) why Duane was here and 2) what my mother said to Joel.  My mom came downstairs trying to act all nonchalant...

Mom: “Well isn’t it nice that Duane came home at the same time as you?  It sure is nice to have him home...both my kids under the same roof...”

Me: “Ok there Mom!  You planned this whole thing.  What did you say?”

Mom: “Sit down please....we need to talk about what is going on with you and this Joel guy.”

I sat and put my head in my hands and sighed.  Truth was, I didn’t know what was going on with us....

 

6 comments:

  1. I really like the story up until the last couple posts. It really seems like her mom and Munro run her life but yet both say she needs to get her life together on her own but they aren't letting her. I think moving away from them might be good just so she can fail on her own and not have them telling her what to do. Love this blog though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, her mom sounds tough to say the least. I hope everything works out with Joel.


    newadventureswithbrenda.blogspot.com
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading through your blog the last couple of days and really like it but am confused by some things such as she says that it had always just been her and her mother, her dad left when she was young. So, what about Duane? As well, why was Joel in Toronto when she bumped into him at the bar if he is from and lives in California? Also confused by timing, when she hooked up with Joel how long had it been since breaking up with Craig, you reference weeks or a month but she was still off from work? Kind of confused by the inconsistencies in timing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for commenting! I apologize for my inconsistencies, this is my first time writing since I was in high school, so its been a little choppy. I will do my best to explain now, hopefully I do not lose you as a reader!

    1) I didn't mention that Joel was on vacation. I had hoped it was read between the lines, when I mentioned a hotel in another post. I will do my best to try and make stuff like that a little more clear.
    2) Bella and Joel met again shortly after the demise of Craig. It would've been a month or less after
    3) I goofed on the work part. I thought I had written it in, but I must've edited it out and forgot about it. She was working 2 part time jobs (reception and waitressing). So it kind of gave her some flexibility in her schedule. Plus Craig was the breadwinner so she didn't really have to work that much.
    3) I didn't go into too much background on Duane, you are the first person who caught that. Bella and Duane have a very odd brother/sister relationship. While now they are very close, there is a large age gap between them. Bella was a late in life baby, so around the time of the divorce Duane would've been able to make his own decisions on what he wanted to do; be it stay with one of his parents, or live with another family member or guardian.

    I edited the meeting between Craig and Bella in "Second Down" I will try to fix the time line, as much as I can.......I hope that my answers kind of fills in the blanks, I am trying to better myself as I proceed with writing this blog, and appreciate any and all comments people leave. I may not always respond, but I do love the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the clarifications!

    ReplyDelete