Tuesday 26 August 2014

Just Us...


The next day I was walking to work and when I got there I saw the ‘Help Wanted’ sign in the window.  I was a little sad by it, but also it was a turning point.  I was moving and I was happy.  I walked into the restaurant and Arianna stood in the middle of the restaurant with her hands on her hips.

Ari: “Ok WHAT is going on?”

Me: “Arianna...I am ....”

Ari: “You can’t be serious!  You just got together with him...” she interrupted me.

Me: “I don’t expect you to understand, but I would like your support.”  I said as I walked past her and back to the lockers to put my stuff away. 

I strapped on my apron and walked out to help get everything ready.  She was busying herself behind the counter and avoiding me.  Which for now was just fine, I wasn’t in the mood.  After Monroe and I spent the better part of the evening, and 2 bottles of wine, imagining my new California life; I was exhausted.  I really just wanted people to accept it and be happy for me.  They were all telling me to grow a back bone, to make my own decisions and when I finally do it is like they all have twenty thousand questions as to why I made that decision.

We worked silently through the breakfast shift, and our relief came in to take over so we could have a break.  While there should always be two people on the floor, it was not busy so I slid outside to the alley where Arianna always went for her break.

Me: “Ok are you ready to talk?  I will answer a few of your questions, but I really just want you to be happy for me.”

Ari: “I am Bella, but I am going to miss you so much!  I just wish you didn’t have to move so far away, can’t he come here?”

Me: “It may happen that we come back, but for now he needs to be out there and really other than my friends and family, what is keeping me here?  I don’t have any reason not to go and live my life.  My mom thinks I am crazy; she tried to turn Monroe on me.  In the words of one of my favourite shows ‘I can stay here and write about my life, or I can go with him and live my life’ though the writing part has no relevance but you get my drift...”

Arianna rolled her eyes; she hated Sex and the City.  But she nodded and looked up at me with a sad smile.  I leaned down to hug her and she hugged me back tightly. 

Me: “You can always come and visit us! “

Ari: “You bet I will!”

We both laughed and headed back in to finish up before we got our lunch rush.

I decided to walk home; I needed the exercise and the air.  It was a nice feeling walking in a familiar place.  It would be a long time before I could do this again, especially when I move.  On my walk home I got a text from Joel

Hey baby!  I miss you so much!!! I hope you have started packing.  I have a surprise for you when you come home to me.  Can you let me know how many boxes you are moving so I know what size truck we need to rent to haul all your clothes over?  I will be flying back out next Wednesday and we have to leave on Sunday morning, I have used up a lot of my vacation time, so unfortunately I can’t stay any longer than Sunday.   I can’t wait to see you! Call me later tonight xo.

I smiled and replied.

Hey Handsome!  I started packing the other night and came across a “care package” from the ex.  I didn’t open it, nor do I care what is in it.  I just have to tackle the shoes and bags and a few things in storage.  So far....I have 7 large plastic bins of clothes.  I think tomorrow I will tackle the storage locker and see what else I need from there.  I can’t wait until Wednesday; Monroe is back and is giving us his blessing.  He is going to plan the bon voyage dinner, so I will tell him it has to be before Sunday.  I miss you a lot! Xoxo

I put my phone away and continued the short walk to the loft.  When I got upstairs and kicked my shoes off I saw Monroe on the phone on the balcony.  I figured he was either talking to people or to my mom.  I walked over to the bedroom and lay back on the bed.  My head flopped to the side and I saw the box and note missing from the dresser.  I sat up and walked out to the living room just as Monroe walked inside. 

M: “I found that in the bedroom...mind telling me what that was about?”

Me: “I have no idea Officer.  I didn’t realize this was an interrogation.  I found it in the drawers; I didn’t even know it was there.   He must’ve hidden it in a sweater or something.  Did you open it?”

M: “I can’t even lie, yes I did.  I must say....he’s blowing quite a chunk of change on you still.”

I shook my head, not at Monroe but at the fact that Craig was spending money on me still.  I was happy I hadn’t heard from him since that drunken night; in fact I never wanted to hear from him again.  I sat down on the couch and opened the box.  Inside was a band of diamonds.  I figured that it was supposed to be my wedding band.  I don’t even know why he wanted me to have this; did he expect I would wear it?!  I shook my head in disgust and pushed the box back. 

Me: “What is wrong with this guy?  I haven’t heard from him since he showed up here drunk.  Does he expect me to wear this thing?  Maybe he should be saving his money since I am almost positive that Chloe is carrying his baby...”

M: “I called him.”

I looked at him in utter shock. 

Me: “You WHAT?”

M: “I wanted to return it to him before you got home.  I gave him a real piece of my mind though.  I told him what a piece of shit he was, and how dare he try and buy you back.  I told him you’ve moved on and to leave you alone.  He claims the baby isn’t his, because I asked.  But he has no desire to give up.  I have never been so happy that you’re moving Bella.  You need to get away from this asshole.”

I got up and hugged him tightly.  I would MOST definitely miss Monroe the most. 

Me: “Thank you!!!  Now what do we do about that?”  I nodded towards the box.

M: “Pawnbroker?” he shrugged.

I laughed.  I actually couldn’t even picture either of us at a pawnbroker trying to get rid of jewellery.  We didn’t even know where to begin. 

Me: “I need the engagement ring and earrings out of your safe.  Might as well pack those and take them with me.  Maybe I can sell them in Cali.  But for now throw that in the safe. Oh and Joel will be here Wednesday.  So if you need to go back to NYC I will be fine.  Just come back before Sunday if you can because we’re leaving Sunday.”

Monroe scooped the ring off the table and nodded as he walked towards the safe. 

M: “I will probably leave tomorrow evening, and be back next Friday.  I will plan everything from NYC.  All you have to do is show up when I tell you where.  I’ll give you all the stuff you have in here on Saturday before you leave.  But tonight....tonight you and I are going for a nice dinner and a stroll.  Just us, the way it used to be.  Now go wash up and get changed, we are leaving in a few hours.”  He winked at me and I smiled. 

He went over to the stereo and turned on the radio.  We both looked at each other and started laughing at the song came on.  And just like that....it felt like old times....Just us.

No comments:

Post a Comment