Monday 27 October 2014

Accidents Happen...


“Hello is this Miss Shim?”

Me: “Yes this is her...”

Sgt: “Hello Miss Shim this is Sgt. Daniel Borello of Michigan State Police.  You are in the In Case of Emergency list for one Mr. Joel Billingsly.  We found his phone in his pocket and that you had called several times.”

Me: “Oh my God!  Is he okay?  Please tell me he is okay...” I could feel the fear and tears well up inside of me.  Monroe shot up in bed next to me, almost willing me to put it on speaker phone so he could hear.

Sgt: “Well Mr. Billingsly has been badly injured in a motor vehicle accident on the I-80.  I am sure you’ve seen the news reports.  He is not in grave condition, but before he passed out, he asked us to call you.”

I started to cry on the phone, he was alive but seriously hurt.  “Where is he? Where do I have to get to?”

Sgt: “He is being transported to Detroit Receiving Hospital; please travel safely if you are on your way.”

I hung up quickly and turned on the lights.  Monroe was there watching me as I rushed around the room grabbing clothes and shoving them into a duffel bag.

M: “Bella?  Is Joel ok? Where are you going?”

Me: “Joel was injured; I have to get to Detroit.  He is in the hospital...”

Monroe jumped up quickly and ran to the spare room and woke up Trevor then to the living room and woke up Duane.  We were all packing bags quickly while Duane called his job and told them he had an emergency and would need a few days off.  I didn’t know what I was doing, it was so robotic.  I started to search flights when they all were waiting at the elevator...

Duane: “Let's go Bella, I’m driving.  It will only take us a few hours.”

We all rushed down to Duane’s car, we all checked for passports and then started to drive. Duane was speeding down the highways, when I reached over and touched his arm, he looked at me and started to release the accelerator and slow down.  There wasn’t any traffic, given that it was almost 4am, and that Duane had a heavy foot on the gas.  We pit stopped in London, we had made it about half way to our destination in little over 90 minutes.  We loaded up on Timmies and got some snacks.  We were stretching when then debate started whether we should go straight to Windsor or go over through Sarnia on the 402.  Windsor won out, noting it was closer, and we all got back into the car and were on our way again.

Duane shook me gently at the border cross in Windsor and I handed over my passport.  When they asked the nature of our visit, we just aid visiting a friend in Detroit Hospital.  The clock read 5am and I knew we were close.  We quickly crossed the border and headed towards the hospital.  I must’ve fallen asleep again because I was woken up by Monroe saying we were here.  Duane pulled into the Emergency and let me and Monroe out.  Trevor and Duane said they would be along shortly.  We both ran into the Emergency room and I asked where Joel Billingsly was.  Of course they ask you all the security questions who are you?  Have you been out of the country?  Fever, cough, diarrhea?   Once I had passed the quiz, they told me 3rd floor.  I told her that my brothers were on their way in after they parked the car and to please send them up. 

We got off on the 3rd floor and I looked around and found a nursing station.  I told them who I was looking for and they told me he was in surgery and I should wait in the waiting room.  I started to ask question as to why surgery and they told me I had to wait to see the doctor.  I started to panic and Monroe held me tight to him and led me to the waiting room.  Duane and Trevor came up shortly after carrying more caffeine.  I told them that he was in surgery but didn’t know specifics.

I started to pace the room, drinking my tea slowly.  Trevor and Monroe were whispering quietly with Duane.  Every time the door opened my heart jumped into my throat.  Every minute waiting seemed like eternity.  My fear started to rise when I didn’t see a doctor come through.  It looked like a lot of families had questions; probably most of them were from the accident.  I was just about to sit down when the door swung open and there stood a doctor in blue scrubs and a surgical cap.  I got up and stood there, along with other family members who were looking for answers to for their loved ones.

“I am looking for the family of Mr. Joel Billingsly...”

11 comments:

  1. Agh!!! The cliffhangers are KILLING me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you got your post!!
      now you have to exercise PATIENCE! LMAO!

      Delete
    2. I think I practiced patience having to wait til today for the post over the weekend, monday and I believe Friday too. :P

      Delete
  2. Another 10 comments and we get the next post? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol no no. I'm still working on the bonus ...

      Delete
  3. Ugh darn cliffhangers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhrrrggggg!!!! I'm so nervous for Bella!!

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that hype for this? Lame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rude and disrespectful to the author

      Delete
    2. But its true

      Delete
  6. Hehe drove right past my house :)

    ReplyDelete