Wednesday 25 June 2014

Just When I Think I'm Doing Fine....


Monroe and I made our way downstairs and grabbed our luggage from the concierge.  He had his arm around my waist as we hailed a cab and made our way over to his loft.  I had never been so thankful for a long purse strap, as I checked my purse for my phone and decided to make a few phone calls.  I rallied my girls and their boyfriends to the loft, just telling them ‘get to Monroe’s loft ... now!’

When we arrived we walked up to the door and Monroe said “Welcome home!”  I smiled and opened the door to the building and we made our way to the elevator.  It was kind of surreal; the elevator was one of those with the two horizontal doors that you have to pull closed.  He showed me where to put the key to get the elevator to move to his unit.  When it opened, we walked into his loft and to be honest I felt like I was finally home.  I looked around and smiled, thinking of all the things I wanted to do with his place, even though I didn’t think I was going to stay that long.  I knew I needed a fresh start somewhere, and that wouldn’t and couldn’t be in the same city as Craig. 

One by one my friends started to arrive at Monroe’s and we gathered around the island in the kitchen.  And each of them had brought a bottle of some kind of alcohol.  We all started talking and I took stock of what friends had shown up; Michelle and her boyfriend Ian, Stacey and her husband Bo, Courtney and her boyfriend Scott.  While Monroe gave them the low down as to what had happened, as I sat and listened and drank my red wine, a loud buzz filled the room.  We all went silent as Monroe was trying to figure out who it was.  Whomever it was Monroe allowed them up.  When the elevator opened up, I saw who it was and burst into tears, there stood my big brother Duane.  I ran to him and cried on this shoulder as he shushed me and told me everything would be ok.  The room seemed to lose its tension as we walked together out to the balcony.  Monroe resumed his story telling and when I was out of earshot produced the video for our friends to gasp at.

Out on the balcony Duane sat me down in a chair and squatted in front of me.  “Ok Baby girl what happened? I went to your condo and Craig was holding ice to his face and said that you hit him but then asked if I knew where you were.  I had to make a few phone calls to find out where you had gone to.  Now tell me what is going on here?”  I wiped the tears away and sniffled and gave him the low down of the last 2 weeks, including what I had just witnessed.  I saw the fire in Duane’s eyes and his body go tense.  He had always been so protective of me, and I was the only one who was able to calm him down “Duane look at me, I punched him, it’s over.  I’m not going back.  Do not do anything crazy, he’s not worth it.  I’m going to stay at Monroe’s until I figure out my next step.  But I will need you and the boys in there to go clear out my stuff from his condo.”  I was making a mental list of everything I needed removed.  Duane got up and sat next to me with his hand over mine, and breathed deeply to calm himself.  We sat in silence, and that was our reassurance that we were ok.  I got up and he followed me inside and I sat at the island and made a list of the items I needed from the condo.  All the boys said they would be willing to help, and the girls were going to go and make sure anything fragile was wrapped properly.  I gave Duane the list and gave the keys to Michelle.  This way Duane couldn’t go get in trouble.  By the time we looked at the clock we had realized it was well after midnight.  The group dispersed but were going to start moving my stuff tomorrow afternoon.

I yawned as I cleared the empty glasses of the island.  Monroe was moving my stuff into the bedroom I knew everything in my luggage was pretty much laundry and vowed to do both of our laundry tomorrow.  As I placed the glasses down I happened to look at my hand and noticed I was still wearing the ring.  It was then that I actually broke down and cried, and these were tears of sadness.  I turned and slid down the cabinets sobbed into my hands.  I couldn’t even imagine how it came to this, to me leaving the man I was supposed to marry in less than a couple of months, finding him thrusting himself up inside the person whom was supposed to be my best friend, and now in a loft that wasn’t even mine and trying to piece my life back together.  I slid the ring off and just held it in my finger tips, staring at it.  Monroe called out for me and then looked around the island and found me on the kitchen floor.  He bent down slowly and looked at my blotchy face “Bella, I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but it will be okay.  Everything will work out the way it is supposed to, it is not the end of the world” I nodded as he spoke to me in a calm voice, and I got up and handed him my ring “Put that somewhere for now, I may have to sell it to get a place of my own”.

Monroe went to say something but decided against it and pulled me to my feet.  He hugged me and led me to spare room “you stay here until I go back to New York, then the master is all yours.  I know you don’t have any sleep wear so I found an old t-shirt that you can at least wear tonight and then by tomorrow evening we should have most of your stuff back here.”  Monroe kissed me on the cheek and went to his room, closing my door quietly.  I lay back on the bed and looked up at the ceiling and the last thing I remember was staring up at the fan over my head.

I woke up the next morning and heard voices in the living room.  I put on a pair of shorts from my suitcase, still vowing to do laundry today, and walked out.  There were all my friends checking out my list with Duane leading the pack on how to get it all out and fast. I leaned against the wall and smiled, thinking how lucky I am.  Michelle turned around and smiled and walked towards me.  The group then turned and waved and Duane stood up straight and nodded in my direction. 

“Well I guess I’ll get dressed and go with you guys” I said and Michelle and the rest of the group all said ‘no, no you stay here.’  Duane approached me and said quietly “I think it’s best if you stay here, let us deal with this, I don’t want him anywhere near you right now.”  I knew there would be no changing Duane’s mind so I just nodded.  I went to the kitchen and made myself a cup of tea while the troops planned their attack on the condo.  Michelle came to the kitchen and leaned against the counter, her and I always had that kind of connection that we didn’t need to speak we just knew.  I whispered that I had jewellery in the bedroom in the jewel box on the dresser.  She nodded and moved back to the group as it seemed like they were ready to get on their way.

They all departed and headed down to their respected cars.  Monroe hung back for a second and said “I know you want to go, but I think it is best that you stay here.  I already told Craig we were coming and would appreciate if he is not there.  Just wait here we won’t be too long.” He kissed my cheek and closed his door.  I sighed and looked around the now empty loft.  I must’ve sat on the couch flipping through channels on the TV for over and hour before I decided to get up and go to the grocery store and get some food.  The least I could do for them was feed them after all the work they are doing for me.

I went to the local bodega and picked up various cold cuts and cheese, bread and buns, and some antipasto items.  I put everything into my carry all bag, stopped at the local beer store and picked up a 24 of beer.  I was thanking my lucky stars when I was walking home that Monroe didn’t live far, I had forgotten how heavy a 24 was. 

As I rounded the corner I was digging for my keys and bumped into someone.  I looked up and apologized and couldn’t believe whose eyes I was staring into......

2 comments:

  1. Please tell me you are still posting! I hate Craig so much! Grr! I'm glad her friends are pulling together for her!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm still posting. I haven't as of lately as I'm not feeling great. I will be back up and running in a few days!

      Delete