Wednesday 11 June 2014

Island Time.....


**May 2013**

We made our way inside and straight to the west jet counter.  I passed my passport to Monroe and he pulled out his wallet and passport.  I tried to offer something for the tickets and he scowled at me, which instantly told me to back off.    We checked our luggage and headed towards security. I was surprised that the line up wasn’t longer; when Craig and I went to Punta Cana we were waiting forever to clear security.

It was a quick run through security since we really didn’t have much on us. And before I knew it we were boarding the plane.  I couldn’t believe we were sitting in first class, it was so comfortable.  Once we were in flight I was wishing I had my phone and looked over at Monroe who was listening to music and leaning back in his chair.  I went to reach for my phone and he grabbed my hand, smiled and held it.  He shook his head and mouthed “not now”.  I knew he was right; he was the only one who was making any sense right now.  I leaned on his shoulder and closed my eyes, and all that kept playing in my head was what Craig had said to me.  Then I started thinking ‘was it my fault? Did I push him to this?’

Monroe gently shaking me awake, as he handed me a drink of orange juice and champagne.  He held his up and made a toast “To sun, drinks and cute cabana boys” as he winked as we clinked our glasses and I forced a smile.  He looked me in the eye “It is NOT your fault! You didn’t tell him to stick his penis into Chloe.  And Chloe didn’t trip and fall vagina first onto him.  Let him stew on what he’s done, and we will deal with it as we always do.....together.”  He kissed my forehead and we drank our champagne. 

I must have been emotionally exhausted because next think I knew I opened my eyes again to the captain asking us to put up our trays and fasten our seatbelts.  It was a smooth landing, and we were the first ones out of the plane and down to baggage claim.  We got our luggage and headed for exit.  When the doors opened we were hit with a warm blast of air.  I couldn’t get over how beautiful it was and we hadn’t even reached the resort yet.  A short cab ride later, which I insisted I pay for, we had arrived at the most beautiful mountain top resort. 

I was in shock and awe at the beautiful island.  When we checked in and led to our suite, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  The double doors opened upon our living room, to which was furnished with rich mahogany furniture.  As I looked up there were huge glass doors leading out to our own private (wait for it...) IN FINITY POOL.  I looked at Monroe, my mouth hanging open, and thought I was going to cry.  We managed to snag a 2 bedroom, which I knew was more for Monroe’s sake than mine, and each room had its own private balcony overlooking the ocean.  I sat on the huge king sized bed and leaned back, instantly raising my left hand and looking at my engagement ring. I sighed as i played with it.  My heart wasn’t ready to give up on Craig, but my head was screaming otherwise.  Monroe walked in “ok baby girl, bathing suits on now.  We are here to relax and plot our revenge against the world.”  He looked at me and I looked at him “Take it off and give it to me. I will lock it in the safe with our passports.  You need to think, not be distracted.” He was not taking no for an answer as he held out his hand.  I slid it off my finger, for the first time in a year, and handed it to him.  I felt so naked without my ring on.  He yelled from his room “get into a bikini ... we are going to try the infinity pool”. 

A few hours later after relaxing in the pool I was showering and changing into a summer dress that Monroe had packed up.  I walked out and asked him for my phone, he looked at me and was about to say no, when I quickly said “I have to face it sometime.”

We sat together on the balcony off of Monroe’s bedroom and decided to start with Craig’s messages.  Most of them begging me to come home, let him explain, professing his love for me, and give him a second chance.  Then they started to get accusatory, blaming me for driving him to her, for me never being around, then again the apologetic ones started all over again. Monroe was snorting while reading them, muttering ‘asshole’ and ‘douchebag’ upon occasion.  I sat in silent contemplation over what I had just read.  There were still Chloe’s texts to read, but I didn’t know whether I wanted to know what she had to say for herself.  However, Monroe was not letting this go, he wanted to know.  So we opened it up and there were more pictures of them together, and some of them were pretty explicit.  I couldn’t believe my BFF could do this to me.  I started to cry and Monroe took the phone and scrolled through them.  He finally found some text from her that simply stated “I am not sorry that we slept together, but I’m sorry we hurt you.  He loves me Bella, and I hope you won’t come between us.”  All of a sudden I was enraged.  I started screaming “LOVE? SHE THINKS THEY ARE IN LOVE?? WHAT THE FUCK DOES SHE KNOW ABOUT FUCKING LOVE????”  I was about to haul my phone over the balcony when Monroe stopped me.  He removed it from my hand as I leaned in and cried angry tears. 

I awoke the next morning in my bed.  The sun shining through the large windows, it was breath taking.  Forgetting where I was I reached out for Craig, hoping this was all a dream, but i found a cold empty half of the bed.  It hit me that it wasn’t a dream and that in one night I had lost my fiancée and my best friend.  I got up and went straight to the shower, and got lost in the shower, washing away everything I had been through in the last 24 hours.  I stepped out of the shower, dried myself off and then put on a tank top and shorts.  I walked into the living room where Monroe sat with his lap top out, typing something out.  I saw he had already ordered breakfast and tea for me.  I smiled realizing he was the one true friend I had.  I looked over at him as I made my tea and asked “what are you doing?”

He simply smiled and stated “why plotting our revenge my dear....”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment